Kitchen/Polyvalent Assistant (BEL260)
FCO - Foreign and Commonwealth Office
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) diplomatic missions in Benelux are part of a world-wide network of over 200 Posts representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Corporate Services Benelux (CSB), a joint service leading on operational support to the UK diplomatic missions in Brussels and Benelux, is now looking for a Kitchen/Polyvalent Assistant who will support the Chefs and Residence Team in the delivery of a quality food offer for the Residence operation, providing timely catering for multiple events, to a consistently high (5*) standard.
Main responsibilities will include:
- To assist with preparation of fruit & vegetables and also with making and presentation of canapés and/or sandwiches. After a period of training from Chefs, the successful candidate will prepare and serve continental breakfasts; cook hot breakfasts for small numbers (up to 8 guests) and assist Chefs with preparation of cooked breakfasts (8+ guests);
- To provide support in kitchen during service (eg assist Chefs to dress plates); assist with plongeur and kitchen cleaningduties; assist Chefs with shopping as required and also to provide support to service team during large events;
- Flexibility to be “polyvalent” (multi-skilled), to assist with other ad-hoc duties required by the day-to-day Residence operation. For example, moving furniture and helping with event set-ups or providing support on some Housekeeping duties.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Previous experience gained in a professional kitchen as plongeur/kitchen porter;
- Basic culinary skills with potential for training by Chefs to become capable of all food preparation duties in job description, with development to solo cooking of hot breakfasts for small numbers (up to 8 guests);
- Flexibility to be “polyvalent” as required by the day-to-day operation of the Residence;
- Flexibility to vary working hours as required.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Previous experience of working in a 4 or 5* hotel/restaurant environment;
- Previous experience of food preparation and cooking in a professional kitchen;
- Basic food handler certificate;
- Knowledge of English preferred, Dutch advantageous but not essential.
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Application deadline: 3 July 2017
Type of Position: Full-time, Flexible working, Permanent
Working hours per week: 40
Region: Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post: British Embassy
Starting monthly salary (EUR): 2,333.31 gross
Start Date: 1 September 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a permanent full-time position, where you will be expected to work a maximum of 40 hours over a 5 day period, over 7. This will often be Monday to Friday but the nature of the work within this busy Residence means that you will be expected to demonstrate flexibility in your hours and timetable of work - often at short notice. This may include night and shift working, variable hours, weekend and bank holiday working. Time off in lieu (TOIL) will be granted for additional hours worked at the discretion of the Residence Manager.
The monthly gross salary for this position is € 2,333.31 gross S2 (L) level (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation). Furthermore this post attracts a monthly meal allowance.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
If you are interested in this job opportunity you can choose whether you prefer to apply:
- In English through the FCO Local Posts website, by clicking on the "Apply" button at the bottom of this page or;
- In French (sending CV + Cover Letter, explaining clearly the motivation, skills and experience you could bring to this role) to the following email address: email@example.com.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.