Digital Communication Officer
COST - European Cooperation in Science and Technology
COST - European CO-operation in Science and Technology - is a unique means for European researchers to jointly develop their own ideas and new initiatives across all scientific disciplines through trans-European networking of nationally funded research activities.
Based on a European intergovernmental framework, COST has contributed since its creation in 1971 to closing the gap between science, policy makers and society throughout Europe and beyond. COST mission is to enable break-through scientific developments leading to new concepts and products and thereby contributing to strengthen Europe’s research and innovation capacities.
The COST Association is an international non-profit association based in Brussels with 36 European Member Countries; it integrates governance, management and support functions dedicated to COST activities aiming at enabling trans-European science and technology cooperation. The COST Association draws its funding from the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020, through specific Grant Agreements signed in the frame of a framework Partnership Agreement with the European Commission.
The Digital Communication Officer first responsibility is to develop a strategic approach to digital communications and social media and ensure an effective implementation. He/She will monitor the effectiveness of the website and other digital platforms. This includes managing search engine optimization and providing a content strategy to drive people to the website.
The Digital Communication Officer reports directly to the Head of Communications.
The successful candidate should be available to start as soon as possible. The position will involve:
- Develop digital communication strategies and oversee their successful implementation;
- Ensure COST digital presence reflects COST’s strategy and brand and is consistent with order communication channels and messaging;
- Drive traffic to the website and increase user engagement and interaction;
- Ensure a positive user-experience with all COST digital channels;
- Monitor the effectiveness of the COST website and digital platforms, regularly report on user statistics, make recommendations for further improvement;
- Manage search engine optimization;
- Provide a content strategy to drive people to the website;
- Ensure corporate and COST Action news and events are largely spread within the COST network through building a marketing database and sending regular e-news;
- Build, manage and continuously develop the marketing database;
- Make sure that content is accurate, up to date and consistent in terms of messaging;
- Establish a process for the organisation of webinars and take the lead in making it happen;
- Managing agencies, freelancers and other suppliers, etc. and handle the administration related to the above-mentioned responsibilities;
- Fulfilling other responsibilities and tasks as necessary for the good organisation of the office, as mandated by the COST Association Director.
Profile and Competencies
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree in Marketing or Communications;
- At least 5 years’ experience in digital communication in a communication agency, in-house marketing department or equivalent;
- A strong added value is the knowledge of the European Research and Innovation policy, landscape and agenda. Familiarity with national research structures, institutions and stakeholders;
- High standard of spoken and written English, knowledge of other European languages appreciated;
- Experience in academic, public service or not-for-profit environment.
- Very good understanding of all aspects of digital communications and social media;
- Proven and demonstrable competencies in working with a wide range of social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube), etc.;
- Sound knowledge of website management (web development, producing content for the web, etc.);
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems, web 2.0 tools, desktop publishing software (Adobe Illustrator or InDesign), database systems and website content management systems (e.g. eZPublish);
- Proficient in HTML and Experience with Word Press or similar web-based applications;
- Experience with database systems and photo and multimedia editing;
- High standard working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and Web sites;
- Database management.
- Service-oriented attitude with strong sense of purpose and drive to make a meaningful contribution to the COST mission;
- Teamwork and persuasiveness;
- Excellent organisational skills, continuous commitment to efficiency, accountability;
- Good inter-personal skills and communication skills within a multi-national context, including diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality;
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple tasks and work well independently and collaboratively;
- Flexibility and adaptability to the changing environment;
- Positive, constructive, solution-oriented attitude;
- Pragmatic, get it done attitude, initiative taking.
The COST Association offers
- A full-time contract under the Belgian law;
- Start date: as soon as possible;
- A European working environment located in Brussels;
- Unless a national of the ‘EU and EEE’, candidates must be eligible to work in Belgium and must have a work permit.
Electronic applications (motivation letter with possible start date mentioned + CV in English and at least 2 recent reference letters in English) should be addressed to Barbara Bottiau and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the reference code DCO2 in the subject line.
Please note that the COST HR Team will only contact the candidates who are invited to the interview. No individual feedback will automatically be given to unsuccessful candidates.
The interviews will take place on 24th July 2017 for the 1st round and on 27th July 2017 for the second round.
For more information, please visit our website: www.cost.eu.
Deadline for application: 09/07/2017 included.
Data protection - All personal data provided by applicants will be dealt with in compliance with Regulation (EC) N°45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regards to the processing of personal data by the Community Institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data and also in compliance with the law of 8 December 1992 relative to the protection of the private life with regards to the personal data processings which transposes into Belgian law the provisions of the European directive.